Monday, September 17, 2012

WEEKLY WRAP-UP

This week has felt like 2 or 3 weeks! On Monday, I traveled to Raleigh for work. I was supposed to leave for an event in Austin on Wednesday, but ended up having to fly home for Jury Duty. I spent a lot of time getting caught up on some things that I've been behind on throughout the rest of the week. Jon and I went grocery shopping and started a Star Wars marathon on Friday. We spent Saturday sealing the windows on the first level, doing yard work, cooking, and resting. And yesterday we had a relaxed morning together and helped Jon's dad out with some chores at their place. Sunday nights are one of my new favorite times of the week because I get to spend time with amazing women in a book//bible study.

I was supposed to contribute towards a snack last night, so I decided to make these peach cupcakes with coconut cream frosting. I've been challenging myself in the kitchen lately and trying to get better at cooking and baking. It started off great Sunday morning when I put together the peach cupcakes. I used cane sugar instead of granulated sugar and I didn't have applesauce so I ended up using butter and a dash of coconut milk. And since I have a lot of my grandpa in me I added things of my own. ;) The cupcakes smelled delicious baking and I thought I was on a roll...until the frosting. One lesson I'm learning in cooking is that it's probably wise to read the directions the day BEFORE you plan to cook or bake something just in case something needs to sit overnight or be prepared early in the day. Well I didn't do that. So that can of coconut milk that was supposed to chill in the fridge overnight to turn creamy and awesome for frosting didn't happen. It was only in the fridge for 5 hours...and my "coconut whipped cream" was so...so...flat. So I did what any normal person might do...added more to try and make it work. So in goes the egg white, extra powered sugar, cream cheese, corn starch...everything. Still flat. After two batches of failed frosting I finally whipped up some very unhealthy coconut buttercream frosting at the last minute. Overall, I'll give my cupcakes 3 awesome whisks out of 5. ;)

Snapshot(s) of the Week: 1// Snacks with friends. 2// Excited to read Blog Inc. by Joy Cho! 3// Cleaning time. 4// Coconut milk ice cream and peanuts.


5 Favorite Posts:
* Blogging & Success by Promise Tangeman
* Design Tips for Facebook Timeline Pages by ALT
* Project Art: Stormy Sea by Pulchritude Fest
* How to Make a Triangle Quilt by Elise Blaha
* The Art of Being a Woman by Going Home to Roost

Favorite Blog of the Week:
Kris Carr - This girl is AMAZING. I'm reading her book Crazy Sexy Diet and I love it. It's so eye opening, exciting, and life changing. I'm a little over half-way through the book and I can't wait to read the rest. I love her newly launched site and I can't wait to get my hands on her upcoming cookbook!

Inspiring Me this Week:
Productivity - I'm working hard this week to get a lot of things accomplished. I have a big to-do list for Maiedae, and personal projects for the rest of the year and I'm working towards getting those things accomplished!

3 Things About Yours Truly:
* Love learning how to do new things like cooking and gardening.
* Recently watched Cabin in the Woods. Such a weird movie...
* Last night, while rummaging for lotion in the dark, I accidentally put apricot scrub all over my hands instead of lotion. Surprise!


8 comments:

  1. Um, I would give your cupcakes 5 whisks out of 5. The vegan chili only gets three though! Oh and Sundays are for sure becoming my very favorite day of the week. P.S. You are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those peach cupcakes sound amazing!!! i've never heard of a peach cupcake but it sounds brilliant. and peanuts on ice cream too
    <3 katherine
    of corgis and cocktails

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the links. I wanted to ask you about Blog inc did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read the first couple pages! Like what I've read so far, but curious to read the rest. I'm planning to post a review once I'm done! :)

      Delete
  4. Very nice :)

    Val
    http://valentinaduracinsky.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love Kris Carr too! I've heard great things about her book....need to get my hands on one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to hear what you think about Blog Inc. That has been on my must read list but I just haven't gotten around to getting it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read the first couple pages. I'll be sure to review it on the blog once I'm done!! :)

      Delete